2017 Survey

Is mid March too late to do my 2017 survey? Maybe. I liked looking back at 2016, so I feel like I need to keep this up. Years from now it will be so fun to look back at these. Again, I found this prompt via Jolie. So, here is 2017:

1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
We moved out of our home and moved from Northern California to Colorado.
  


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As I said last year, I don't really make New Year's resolutions. However, this year (2018) I did make some goals, so my 2018 review should have more.
  
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, so many friends had babies in 2017. Most memorably Penny and Justin.
  
4. Did anyone close to you die?
  Thankfully, no. 

5. What countries did you visit?
Wah, none again.
  
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
We started homeschooling in August and I would love to gain some confidence in my abilities. I am feeling very unqualified.

  
7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 14th- We celebrated 7 years of marriage and we moved halfway across the country.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably our move. That was such an adjustment. 

9. What was your biggest failure?
Oh goodness, probably losing my temper too much again. That is going to be my life's work. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
On a large scale, no. However, the week of Christmas the stomach flu hit our house hard and that was the sickest I have been in as long as I can remember.
  
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I went to an upscale bra place in Denver. They fit you and find the perfect bra for you, and if it doesn't fit perfectly they tailor them. It was expensive, but having a handful of perfectly fitting bras is life changing. I have a large bust and a small rib cage, so bra shopping is extremely difficult.  I highly recommend Sol in Denver. (I saw Marie)
  
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kids. We moved and they have taken it so well. Mia started homeschooling and goes to a homeschool group once a week and has made new friends so easily. I appreciate how smoothly the move went for them because I know it could have been catastrophic. Also, both big kids did amazing in swimming lessons over the summer.
   
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Ahem, 45.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Probably to moving. A combination of that and getting our home fixed up to sell. Word to the wise, fix up your home before you are ready to sell it so you get to enjoy it.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Hard to say. Mia learned to ice skate which made me so happy. We have found so many new fun things in our new area. I feel like I am frequently excited about the resources at my fingertips. 


16. What songs will always remind you of 2016?
Probably the Trolls soundtrack. My kids listened to that A LOT.
  
17. Did you make any new friendships?
Yes, we moved so I have met new people. It might be a stretch to call them "new friendships", but I have met new people.

18. Did you go on vacation?
We went to San Francisco. We went to California Academy of Science, the Oakland Zoo, and around the East Bay.















19. What do you wish you had done (more and less) of?
I wish I had worried less and exercised more. Those probably go hand in hand.


20. How did you spend the holidays?
We spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. My sister came from Boston for both.





21.  What new food did you discover?
None come to mind.  However, my kids and I really enjoyed the serve-yourself mochi at Whole Foods. Oh, and also the freezer croissants at Trader Joe's. 


22. What was your favorite TV program?
Maybe "You're The Worst" or "The Crown". I freaking love "The Crown".

23.  What was one of your favorite experiences of the year?
This isn't one experience, but I felt like I got really good at getting the kids to the beach by myself. I had been intimidated by it and I came up with a simple system that made it easy and enjoyable.  Now we can't go to the beach, but I feel like it set me up to take them anywhere.

24. What was the best book you read?
I'm trying to remember all the books I read, but I really liked "The Rules of Magic" by Alice Hoffman. 

25. What was your greatest musical or artist discovery?
Does a podcast count? I discovered Tim Ferriss' podcast. His talent at interviewing is really an art form. I wish I was that good at getting to the root of why people do the things they do.


26. What did you want and get?
I wanted and got perfectly fitting bras (refer back to #11)

27. What did you want and not get?
The perfect pair of jeans. Kidding. Kind of. There was a place I wanted us to get when we were moving out here it wasn't available. I really think everything happens for a reason though, so it has slowly made sense to me.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't watch very many movies. I did see and enjoy "The Big Sick"

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31. We went out to breakfast with my Mom and my brother and then spent the day at the beach. Then we went back to my Mom's and she made us dinner.



30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Better self care. I really failed at this in 2017. 

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Probably the same as last year. Comfy casual. I wore a lot of tunics and leggings.

32. What kept you sane?
Getting outside with my kids. I think I really learned this year how important it is for all of us to spend at least a little time outside rain or shine.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Cory Booker. I honestly didn't know anything about him before listening to his interview on Tim Ferriss' podcast. He is truly incredible.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Dreamers.

35. Who did you miss?
Because of our move I missed all my friends and family. I am so far from everyone.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably Mia's teacher at her homeschool class. She has helped me SO much with my transition to homeschooling. I can e-mail her with any question and she is happy to help. I am so thankful for her.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
We had a few people really question our move and our sanity. I learned not to care. Only we know what is best for us and our family. I can't care what other people think. That is very hard for a people pleaser like me.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I find this so dramatic and it reminds me of high school, thinking that songs were literally written for me, but if I had to choose I would go with this:
I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change but 'til I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost!


Comments